My son is lactose intolerant, and he felt left out because he couldn’t have mac and cheese. So I found a recipe that will allow him to be included. He absolutely loves this recipe. It’s easy to make, it’s mostly vegetables, and of course, it contains no diary. This dish is creamy, smooth, satisfying, and it fills him, as well as myself, up quickly.
- 1/3 cup of onion, diced
- 1/2 cup of cashews; raw & unsalted
- 1/4 cup Almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup of carrots; chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic pepper
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- 6 to 10 ounces of Gluten-Free elbow macaroni
Prep & Cook:
- Soak cashews in water for 30 minutes. Soak them in a bowl by themselves, and leave on kitchen counter. This will soften them up for the blender.
- Cook elbow macaroni to al dente. Drain, and set aside.
- Place onion, and carrots into a pot of boiling water, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Place the cooked onion, potatoes and carrots into the blender, along with 1/4 cup of the water they were cooking in into your blender, along with the cashews (drained from their water) and the almond milk.
- Blend until smooth
- Pour the sauce over your cooked macaroni; season with sea salt, garlic pepper (or garlic powder) and cayenne pepper. Season to taste, and serve.
- You can also pour sauce and macaroni into a baking pan, cover with break crumbs, and bake at 350 degrees (Fahrenheit) for 15 minutes, or until bread crumbs are a golden brown.